As part of the Virginia Department of Health’s Three Rivers District, the King William County Health Department offers an array of health related services to local citizens. Our mission is to achieve and maintain optimum personal and community health by emphasizing health promotion, disease prevention, and environmental protection.
The three staff members who are assigned full time to the King William office, along with five additional staff members who coordinate their duties with several other offices in the district, provide the wide range of services.
Vital Records, Alerts & Healthcare Initiatives
Information regarding vital records, health alerts and statewide healthcare initiatives is available on the Virginia Department of Health website.
Virginia COVID Information Center1-877-VAX-IN-VA • Mon-Fri 8am-6pm 1-877-829-4682
Visit the Three Rivers Health District website for more information including the latest news on COVID vaccinations and boosters, scheduled clinics in the area, and the Health Director's weekly COVID briefing.
- Breast/cervical cancer education and detection.
- Cardiovascular Risk Reduction - targeted screening and counseling, and referral
- Communicable Disease outbreak investigation, treatment, referrals, prevention of further outbreaks.
- Family planning (by appointment)
- Gynecology - limited services
- Health promotion consultation and programs
- HIV/AIDS testing, prevention education, case management, and Primary Care (in collaboration with Eastern Virginia Medical School)
- Immunization (required for school, free; others, minimal charge; international immunizations no longer offered). Each of our 10 health departments offer immunizations by appointment.
- Preconceptual health
- Pregnancy Testing - counseling, referral
- Rabies titers and pre-exposure vaccinations, post-exposure followup.
- Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD) counseling, screening, examination, diagnosis, treatment, and followup.
- Tuberculosis (TB) screening, testing and follow-up services
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) nutrition services.
- Children With Special Care Needs (CSHCN)
- Children’s Dental Clinic in Richmond County
- Community Health Education (schools, senior centers, service groups, etc.)
- Early Periodic Screening Diagnosis and Treatment (EPSDT) in conjunction with preschool physicals
- Family Assessment and Planning Teams
- Head Start physicals (preschool indigent children)
- Infant Safety Seat Program (car seats)
- Lead screening - testing, referral, followup (Environmental Health Specialist assists with abatement)
- Pre-Admission nursing home screenings
- Preschool Physicals (indigent 4 to 5 years old)
- Resource Mothers (pregnant teens and their children to age 2)
- School Programs - family life education, general health, personal hygiene, and nutrition education
- Sickle Cell and other genetic disease counseling
- Complaint investigation
- Food service sanitation training (with Extension Service)
- Marina inspection
- On-site sewage disposal permits
- Rabies investigation
- Restaurant/food service permits and inspection
- Swimming pool and tourist establishment inspection
- Well permits
A fixed fee is charged for some environmental health services.